Books in English for the Tarot de Marseille

Books in English for the Tarot de Marseille

Messagepar Paul » Sam Aoû 16, 2008 2:19 am

As many may know, for various reasons, the Tarot de Marseille (TdM) did not proliferate in America and Britain—this was due to Arthur Edward Waite (a British-American) who popularized the Tarot for Western audiences, as well as Aleister Crowley (a Brit).
ImageImage

Both were associated with the Golden Dawn Society. However, in Europe, a separate French school of the Hermetic arts took off, and the TdM was the mainstay. So, alas, we in America specifically have little on the TdM itself. The Rider-Waite deck became the mainstay in America and also the UK.

It has spawned innumerable clones since. :evil:

However, now the TdM is making a huge renaissance in America—I believe due to the Internet connecting communities via forums. Bookstores now carry the TdM in various formats. But, there is precious little on the deck itself.

I personally believe that the first French author to translate a Tarot de Marseille book into English will also be the premier Tarot authority in the English speaking parts of the world. The Gold Medal awaits M. Camoin. :wink:

(I’m using lots of Olympic metaphors lately, due to Beijing.)

Of course, we wait for Camoin’s book, which is perhaps to be translated into English. Jodorowsky’s book La Voie du Tarot (French and Spanish) is available now. Even if you must muddle through if you are monolingual English, Jodo’s book is integral. I imagine that Camoin’s book will take the Gold Medal and Jodo’s book will move to Silver Medal, but who can say?

General Tarot:
The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination by Robert Place
Origins of the Tarot: Cosmic Evolution and the Principles of Immortality by Dai Leon
Fortuna's Wheel: The Mysteries of Medieval Tarot by Nigel Jackson; Google this for the website that features it on renaissance astrology.

TdM *(it’s slim pickins’):
The Authentic Tarot: Discovering Your Inner Self by Thomas Saunders
Tarot - Take Your Readings to the Next Level: a comprehensive guide for new readers by Jez Rogers
The book of tarot by Fred Gettings

Generally, any Tarot book will be o.k. for the Majors, but I recommend that English-speakiers start off by purposely avoiding any of the “pictures on the Minors” decks

—this is a Golden Dawn idiosyncrasy and it will mire you in the distractions of the Clones of the Rider-Waite and Crowley decks. You’ll be lost in that Alice in Wonderland world forever. :shock:

Many, many, many books are infected with the Rider-Waite and Crowley viruses. I know I offend some tarot readers by that comment, but I am a TdM devotee. In any book on the Minors, look at the 5’s—if they are presenting the 5’s as “bad” cards of conflict and despair, then this is likely a Golden Dawn based book. Image

A more TdM way of reading the 5's is imaging the 5 of (whatever suit) in the flavor of V-Le Pape.

Also, the 8 of Swords if presented as negative is also a litmus test to see if the book is following Golden Dawnisms, or following a more Pythagorean or traditional TdM numerology system. Image

If the book is using the psychedelic art of the Crowley Tarot deck (Book of Thoth), I would move along, because it will be an LSD trip of images and interpretations of specious value to the TdM deck. Image

Any other ideas?
Paul

FORUM TAROT CAMOIN

Re: Books in English for the Tarot de Marseille

Messagepar iñigo » Mer Aoû 20, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi Paul!
Jodo is a genius, we don´t have any doubt about that, But in tarot questions, the Camoin method is much better. In my opinion, Jodo´s way is a sweet (but efective, IT is true and It produces the ongoing media success) way to read the tarot.

Good posit Paul,

best wishes!
iñigo
ancien élève
ancien élève

FORUM TAROT CAMOIN

Messagepar Rafaël » Mar Oct 07, 2008 12:30 pm

Hi Paul,

Without wanting to compete with your nicely illustrated post, I' dare to add the titles:

- The Game of Tarot by Michael Dummett – a history of the Tarot, and a compilation of Tarot card games.
- A Wicked Pack of Cards: The Origins of the Occult Tarot by Ronald Decker, Thierry Depaulis, and Michael Dummett – a history of the French origin of the occult Tarot, focusing on Etteilla, Le Normand, and Lévi.
- Mystical Origins of the Tarot by Paul Huson – a historically based introduction to tarot reading and divination.
- Tarot Symbolism by Robert O'Neill - an investigation into tarot's symbolism and historical development.

R.
Rafaël
ancien élève
ancien élève

FORUM TAROT CAMOIN

Messagepar Paul » Lun Oct 27, 2008 2:24 am

Wonderful recommendations, Rafaël ! :D
I forgot about these wonderful titles, and they are sitting on my shelf. :oops:
But, there are too many books on my shelf-- it's time for a purge, I think.

Warmly,

Paul
Paul

FORUM TAROT CAMOIN

Retourner vers Tarot de Marseille