Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil

Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil

Messagepar Paul » Dim Mar 15, 2009 5:07 am

This question comes from a colleague, who asks,
“What aspects of my Shadow are begging for the light of day in this trial that I am suffering.”

..................................... :Tar16U: :Tar14U:
:Tar15U: :Tar08U: :Tar17D: :Tar19D:
:TppfEN: (Sort of, this reading transcends the time element)

For those who don’t speak Jungian, put simply, the Shadow is that underdeveloped, ostensibly inferior, and darker part of our Self, kept hidden....Sorry, everyone has one, and you don’t get to kill it. :evil: Thus, the dragon in old mythologies is not really the Shadow, it’s the fear of the Shadow, the Shadow lies behind the dragon or in its gutted belly. In fact, it’s a treasure chest because it contains energies that we can integrate for a more creative life. But, through the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune (i.e. Life), we learn to suppress and fear this seemingly ugly duckling in our Selves. It is those aspects we don't let the world see, and we don't like to see in the Mirror.

Jung wrote of the Shadow:
“When we must deal with problems, we instinctively resist trying the way that leads through obscurity and darkness. We wish to hear only of unequivocal results, and completely forget that these results can only be brought about when we have ventured into and emerged again from the darkness…Anyone who perceives his shadow and his light simultaneously sees himself from two sides and thus gets in the middle.”

So, the conscious Ego likes to keep the Shadow duct-taped, bound, and in the basement. But, like many Hallowe’en characters, the qualities of the Shadow are not evil, just suppressed and un-integrated: For example, one Hallowe'en, I costumed as Luca the Gypsy Man, my best woman friend went as Paprika my Gypsy wife. (We thought the "spice girl" name was clever.) We weren't evil-scary, but still exploring our personalities through the guise of a socially-sanctioned holiday.

One of my favorite movies, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, demonstrates an American Southern town of Savannah, Georgia dripping in dirty little secrets, but white-washed in gentility. It’s a parade of Egos and Shadows. One of my favorite quotes is from a character Minerva (and imagine it spoken in that American Georgian Southern accent, unique to the US South, which is elegant, slow and measured, with long vowels uttered like we have all this lazy summer day to talk): “To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.” Minerva was obviously a Jungian, even if not a grammarian. :wink:

Back to the reading: I see Le Diable’s torch aptly nodding to the idea of the Shadow, as a torch produces shadows on a cave wall. The Ego, La Justice, stands ready to defend, ever-alert to do the right thing, holding the knife and fork in just the right way, and heaven knows, she's not slouching in her chair. Her sword blocks Le Diable, but her scales offer possibility of integration of the "other side of the tracks".

The Shadows seem to be Le Toille (reversed) and Le Soleil, and they are “covered” by a nice coat of paint of La Maison Dieu and Temperance. But, that's only what I see.

The querent is a psychotherapist colleague, who is presently in very much psychic exhaustion and emotional pain, apparently coming out of a relationship that he struggled to nurture, then wrestled with like Jacob with the Angel, and now he realizes how he has neglected his own garden. Being Jung-informed, he spoke in metaphors, saying he is being dismembered like the Pagan Kings of old, as their body parts were then planted in the fields for a rich harvest. The soil is indeed rich, but wet, saturated with Springtime rains, as if there's not enough earth deep enough to absorb the water. He's ready for some seeds to sprout.

Ideas? Back to the question, what does the Shadow know ???
Paul

FORUM TAROT CAMOIN

Re: Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil

Messagepar iñigo » Mer Mar 18, 2009 12:30 am

Dear Paul:

According with Jung, remember that We have a trend to seek a person to help us to go thru our Shadow. That person is a represation of our animus or anima (we talked about that before? i think so), that is why sometimes we are atracted by people who seem to be the opposite to us.....with inpredictable consequencies.....
anyway, god blesses uncertainty...

Midnight in the garden of good and evil...yes!, I watched this movie years ago...What about David Lynch?

More:

almost completelly agree with your diagnosis, but you guys should talk about humility (XVI)....probably the need for a partner is harder than he thinks...

let me know,
regards
iñigo
ancien élève
ancien élève

FORUM TAROT CAMOIN

Messagepar Paul » Ven Mar 20, 2009 12:47 am

iñigo a écrit:... but you guys should talk about humility (XVI)....probably the need for a partner is harder than he thinks...

Hi iñigo:

Yes, I think it's "mission accomplished" on the Shadow emerging via the relationship, after talking with him on the history there. :wink:

To be a bit more clear, I think that the need for seeds to sprout are actually not referring to any desire for a(another) relationship-- at least as he is putting it. If I understand your post correctly, you are perhaps suggesting that this man wants the Nile to flood and plants to sprout as a metaphor of a harvest of a new love. As he see's it, the new relationship is with himself.
Paul

FORUM TAROT CAMOIN

Messagepar iñigo » Ven Mar 20, 2009 4:53 pm

Paul a écrit:Being Jung-informed, he spoke in metaphors, saying he is being dismembered like the Pagan Kings of old, as their body parts were then planted in the fields for a rich harvest. The soil is indeed rich, but wet, saturated with Springtime rains, as if there's not enough earth deep enough to absorb the water. He's ready for some seeds to sprout.

Where is the XIII?, because it's like he is describing that card

uhm...of course in this case you have the last word, because you know your colleague, but we could discuss about XVI...do you consider XVI represents the idea of a new kind of love? because I cosider almost the opposite, even if we both started from the same point ( i assumed your diagnosis). That's why I spoke about humility...

did you ask him about the meaning of XVI?

greetings from ny,
iñigo
ancien élève
ancien élève

FORUM TAROT CAMOIN

Messagepar Paul » Sam Mar 21, 2009 2:18 am

Hello iñigo:

Thank you for your insights and explorations. I approached the shadow-cards as a dialectic with the accompanying light-cards (vertically, in each solution row). Each could be best understood in contrast and tension with the other, or so I reasoned.

For his part, he was attracted to the fortress of La Maison Dieu, it was an immediate metaphor of resonance for him, even though many have a visceral reaction to this card's seeming violent motif, and I told him about Jodorowsky's (and Camoin's) interpretations of this card as "joy" in some contexts. Indeed, he was accustomed to solving problems by being eternally positive and by means of his intelligence, hard work, and brick-by-brick tenacity. This was how he was trained as a child. He said that in his family, complaining was taboo. Every problem was solvable, even if the solution meant endless compromise (Temperance) or diluting one's needs for the needs of the "greater good". He was also the family peace-maker.

Since this has happened, he told me that a veritable "village" of friends and family reached out to him to offer him enormous supports. He's learning the sweetness of falling back into such help and support.

Iñigo-- as you know, I am very glad that you have been able to enjoy New York City. I hope your trip is rife with synchronicities and has roused the sleeping Muses of America for you. :wink:
Paul

FORUM TAROT CAMOIN

Messagepar skip » Ven Mar 27, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi Paul,

what an intriguing question, and a rich-looking spread.

what I notice offhand is, someone moving from lies (XV) to truth (VIII). Perhaps there are "demons" he is ready to face, and like you say the shadow is suggested by the Devil as well. But the shadow can also represent repressed virtue, and I would point out that Justice, looking directly ahead and in the present position, is two times the idea of being present with, or facing the truth. A laudable act that requires honesty and courage. So I would mention this courage and honesty as being aspects he is now reclaiming, or claiming more fully, from Shadow.

Second, I love the imagery he gave of neglecting his own garden. Did he come up with that before the reading, or after seeing XVII L'Etoile--the garden--reversed? I get a sense of both his idea of neglecting his own garden, and of pouring his energies into something that did not nourish him or bear fruit.

In terms of Shadow with XVII reversed and XVI in solution, there is a deep theme of abundance, and the Shadow content might be about this idea of missing what his true value is, as linked to his purpose on the planet. So many beliefs and social personas can get in the way of living in harmony with who we are, and as a solution La Maison Dieu can be about reclaiming one's higher Purpose, which creates a surplus of passion and energy rather than spilling it out with no rewards. So I would inquire along those lines, how clear he is about his purpose in being on the planet.

In the same way, XIIII Temperance can be about focusing our energy on being of service. Clearly the Tarot is nudging your colleague about his use of his precious life energies: XVI, problem with where energy (or money) is being directed, and XIIII, need to conserve energy (money).

I also wonder about Le Soleil in tandem with L'Etoile. Was there some kind of energy drain happening due to poor communication?

Now, looking on your last post, I see that he has already found what I was suspecting he might need. He needed to open up to receive support (XIIII) from his community of friends and family, which means he probably wasn't doing that before (XVIIII).

brilliant. And for those who have not done Shadow work, sometimes we are surrounded by blessings we have become unaware of, and these are Shadow too. So I think it's a great question, and would be sure to point out all the positive things that have come from his asking it.

best,

Skip
skip
ancien élève
ancien élève

FORUM TAROT CAMOIN

Messagepar Paul » Sam Avr 11, 2009 11:03 pm

Thank you, Skip.

In reading yours and Iñigo's interpretations, we can appreciate that the Tarot is like a fine Cabernet Sauvignon, complex, at once peppery with notes of dark chocolate and berry and oak, and the Tarot is certainly more than just a drink to intoxicate our fortune-telling senses.
Paul

FORUM TAROT CAMOIN

Retourner vers Tarot de Marseille